Perfectly Moist Turkey Tips!
“With Thanksgiving around the corner, use these simple tips and this amazing brining recipe to help cook the perfect turkey!”
- If you can get a fresh turkey, do it! Frozen meats’ muscles are damaged during the freezing process and a fresh turkey will yield a much better result.
- Rub butter under the skin of the turkey! The butter will melt during the cooking process and help keep the meat moist.
- Personally I don’t truss my turkey as it leads to uneven cooking. So don’t.
- Use a real thermometer! You are aiming for a cooked temperature of 170 F.
- Rest the turkey before carving!
- Choose dressing as opposed to stuffing the turkey. Dressing is a stuffing made on the side.
- Use a brine and don’t baste! Recipe as follows. If you don’t have a bucket to brine, I brine my turkey in a heavy duty trash bag.
For about a 10 lb turkey
- 1 gal of water
- 1 gal of vegetable stock
- 1 c salt
- 1 c brown sugar
- 1 orange quartered
- 2 lemons quartered
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns
- 6 sprigs of thyme
- 4 sprigs rosemary