- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds fresh crappie fillets
- Salt and pepper
- 1 /2 cup all-purpose unbleached flour
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons cold water, a splash
- 2 cups plain bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon dried mustard powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, a few pinches
- Wedged lemons and malt vinegar for topping
Pour 2 inches of vegetable oil into FireDisc. Set FireDisc to medium-high heat and heat the oil.
Season fillets with salt and pepper. Place a couple of scoops of flour in a pie tin. Combine egg and water in second tin. Season plain bread crumbs with mustard and cayenne in the third tin. Coat fish in flour, then egg, and then bread crumbs. Gently set coated fish into hot oil and fry 5 minutes on each side until medium golden brown in color.
When the fish is evenly golden all over, remove and drain.