- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole or 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more as needed
- Melt 4 tablespoons unsalted butter in your FIREDISC over medium-low heat. Add 1/4 cup all-purpose flour and whisk continuously until the mixture has a toasty aroma and becomes a deep golden hue, 3 to 5 minutes. (The roux will thin out a bit as it continues to cook.)
- Whisking constantly, slowly add 2 cups milk a 1/2 cup at a time. The mixture will seize up at first. Don’t worry, just keep slowly adding the milk and whisking constantly — it will become smooth and creamy. Add 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, and whisk to combine.
- Continue to whisk and cook until the gravy is thickened to your desired consistency, 3 to 5 minutes. It should fall in a thick stream from a spoon, but not clump. Taste and season with more kosher salt and black pepper as needed.