SWEET POTATO PANCAKES FROM PRACTICAL PALEO
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes Yield: 4-6 pancakes (or more, depending on size)
- Coconut oil to deep-fry in (amount will vary)
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups shredded sweet potatoes (using a food processor with a shredding disc is ideal, or you can shred them by hand)
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, beat the eggs with the coconut flour, cinnamon, ground ginger, and sea salt. Mix in the shredded sweet potatoes until well combined.
- Add about 1/8 inch of coconut oil to a large cast iron or ceramic nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Spoon the mixture into the skillet in “cakes” that are 4-6 inches in diameter, and cook approximately 3-4 minutes per side until they hold together, flipping once as you would a regular pancake.
If you prefer a savory taste, leave out the cinnamon and ginger and replace with 1/4 each ground black pepper and granulated garlic.
Prep time: 10 minutes (not including bacon)
Cook time: 15 minutes
Yield: 4 burgers
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 4 slices of bacon
- 1 ½ pounds ground bison
- 1 ½ teaspoons onion powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Roast the jalapeño pepper: Place the jalapeno pepper in the center of FireDisc until the skin is blackened all over. Remove from the heat and peel the skin off the pepper under cool running water. Remove the seeds and membranes if you don’t like heat, or leave them in if you do. Chop the pepper.
- In a larger mixing bowl, combine the ground bison, jalapeño, spices and salt with your hand until well integrated. Form the mixture into four equal-sized patties, adding a thumbprint dimple in the center of each one to allow for even cooking.
- Cook bacon low and slow.
- Cook the burgers for 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium-rare doneness, or to your preferred level of doneness. Top with the bacon and serve between Sweet Potato Pancakes as the buns, with ketchup, mustard, and pickles or your favorite burger toppings.