- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 eggs whisked
- ⅓ cup cornstarch
- ⅓ cup flour
- Oil for frying
- Orange chicken sauce:
- 1 cup orange juice
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar or white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (tamari for a gluten-free)
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder or 2 garlic cloves, diced
- ½ teaspoon red chili flakes
- Orange zest from 1 orange
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Green onions
- To make the orange sauce:
- In a medium pot, add orange juice, sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and red chili flakes. Heat for 3 minutes In a small bowl. Whisk 1 tablespoon of cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of water to form a paste.
- Add to orange sauce and whisk together. Cook for 5 minutes, until the mixture thickens. Remove from heat. Add orange zest.
- To make chicken:
- Place flour and cornstarch in a shallow dish or pie plate. Add a pinch of salt. Stir.
- Whisk eggs in a shallow dish. Dip chicken pieces in egg mixture and then flour mixture. Place on a plate.
- Heat 2 inches of oil in a FIREDISC® cooker over medium-high heat. Using a thermometer, watch for it to reach 350 degrees.
- Working in batches, cook several chicken pieces at a time. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, turning often until golden brown. Place chicken on a paper-towel-lined plate. Repeat.
- Toss chicken with orange sauce. Reserve some of the sauce to place on rice. Serve with a sprinkling of green onion and orange zest, optional.
- NOTE: Adjust cooking temperature if any stage of this — or any — recipe goes too fast or gets too hot. turn the heat down a bit and keep on cooking. Your FIREDISC® cooker heats quickly and evenly.
- Credits go to modernhoney.com: https://www.modernhoney.com/chinese-orange-chicken/