Holiday cooking is coming up fast – and for that, we’re thankful.
It’s a glorious time of year for foodies and FIREDISC® cooks alike. Foodies, for obvious reasons; for keepers of the ‘disc, it’s just another chance to create something delicious. We’ve been doing this all year long.
Lots of what we create on the FIREDISC® makes any day feel like a holiday. So converting that everyday mentality of stellar cooking to this time of year isn’t a tough ask. We’ll take a look at some easy steps for you to upgrade your family’s family fare this holiday season simply by firing up the FIREDISC®.
What’s so great about holiday recipes?
Holiday eating is a ceremony. A reward during a pause to appreciate and reflect. As a FIREDISC® cooker, you can attest to the allure of a great dish prepared with love. During the holidays, good eats can become a diversion from the rushed meals during the hustle and bustle of the rest of the year. Let’s slow down and eat.
5 steps to rocking the holiday cooking on a FIREDISC®
- Create a new tradition
Look, someone in the family is going to bake a pie. Someone is going to bring in a spiral ham. Every family has that go-to dish one person will bring year after year (whether it’s beloved or not!) Was there a recipe you loved this summer? We’re thinking of delicious concoctions such as roasted fish with shrimp & corn succotash. All you need is the fresh catch, and FIREDISC® cookers have a knack for that anyway.
- Keep it simple (yet delicious)
You know how easy it is to serve up something scrumptious in FIREDISC®. Try this recipe for salmon patties, adapted for the ‘disc, from our friends at All Recipes.
What you’ll need:
- 1 (14.75 ounce) can canned salmon
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
What you’ll do:
- Drain and keep liquid from salmon
- Mix egg, onion, bread crumbs, and salmon together
- Form into patties – if the mix is too dry to do so, add reserve liquid from salmon
- Heat olive oil in FIREDISC® and place patties on it
- Brown each side, turning gently
- Drain on paper towels and serve
- Get sweet and savory
Holiday dishes are prime for indulgence. Desserts play into indulgence beautifully. Break out something like whiskey chocolate balls, a FIREDISC® favorite. We’d say these were specially made for Christmas, had we not enjoyed them in early spring, the heat of summer, and on into tailgate season. Evergreen. Yeah, that’s what we’ll call it. And while we’re at it … with cocoa and walnuts, this is healthy superfood to boot. Yeah, we said it.
- Be creative (and patient)
With a side dish such as Brussels sprouts, you have to leave them be to cook properly. This one will be so aromatic it shouldn’t be a tough task, for best honey balsamic glazed Brussels sprouts, from our friends at Delish.
What you’ll need:
- 1 lb. Brussels sprouts, cleaned and halved
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
What you’ll do:
- Heat oil in a FIREDISC® over medium heat
- Add Brussels sprouts, cut side down, and cook undisturbed, 3 to 4 minutes, until golden on the bottom
- Add ¼ cup water and cover
- Let Brussels sprouts steam until tender, 3 minutes. If the skillet seems dry, add more water a tablespoon at a time.
- Push sprouts to the outer ring of the FIREDISC®
- Add vinegar, honey, mustard, and garlic to center of FIREDISC® and whisk to combine
- Bring to a simmer and cook until thick and syrupy, 6 to 8 minutes
- Return sprouts to center of FIREDISC®, toss to coat, and heat 2 to 3 more minutes
- Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately
- When in doubt – fry it
Comfort food is often fried. And what says comfort like beer battered fried fish with fresh cilantro aioli? Some FIREDISC® chefs prefer to keep an extra bottle of beer on hand, for the cooker. (Not the ‘disc, the one manipulating the Ultimate Frying Weapon!) This could be considered the No. 1 most crucial element to this dish. Give it a whirl yourself. We feel like the cilantro aioli is going to make this a favorite for the holidays for years to come, too.
Ready to cook?
The awesome thing about FIREDISC® cooking is that it’s one part proven, established recipes, and one part creativity. If you can dream it, you can cook it. New accessories, such as the Ultimate Steaming Grate and Ultimate Flat Top Lid, make it possible to create even more delicious dishes outdoors.
Ready for FIREDISC®?
If you’re not in the FIREDISC® Nation yet, now’s a great time to join, just in time for the holidays. It’s the portable, versatile cooking tool that will transform how you make food – and even how you eat. Pick up a cooker – or better yet, a bundle – and start living the life today.